Seek Solitude

I spent the last four days in Oklahoma meeting, greeting, and spending time with what seemed like my husband's entire family tree - uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, and childhood friends. Whew! What a big family and being alone for a minute was out of the question. By the time we left his town, I was mentally drained. My personality doesn't allow alot of room for constant socializing and I was craving for my personal space, yet had a twelve-hour drive home with my family plus my husband's niece. It was difficult hearing my Master's voice since He had to compete with others to keep my attention. I was having short, sporadic prayer throughout the days, yet I'm spoiled with my daily commune time with Him. Mothers deal with this issue on a daily basis. God has to compete with so much stuff to get our undivided attention - telephones, cellphones, people, tv, radio, computers, children, husbands, and everything else calling for our attention.

When I don't get my time alone with God, I suffer mentally, emotionally, and spiritually and it becomes more difficult to remain Christ-controlled, which means...my carnal self comes to surface. Yikes! Needless to say, I had a rough drive home from Oklahoma and so did my poor husband (smile). My lack of space and solitude was revealed in the worse way. I cried out to God to help me find a place in my mind to hear His voice clearly. Yes, God came through. Somewhere on the highways of Mississippi, I noticed everyone was sleeping. Thank you, God! Yippeeeee!! Although I was driving, I took complete advantage of this time and soaked in silence as I waited to feel the sweet presence of God renewing my mind. It was finally just the two of us. It was almost like waiting for your husband to turn the television off, so you can have his undivided attention - only waaaay better. Okay, maybe not your husband. Having consecrated time with my Lord is my lifeline - I can't live without it. It's my daily medicine for living. It's my way of staying connected to my power source - His presence is my being. As I received my much needed refill, my entire demeanor changed and I was able to properly prepare myself for the homefront routine waiting for me in Florida. I was a different person and without a doubt, my husband noticed. Seeking solitude should be added to every mother's list of things to do until it becomes a habit to spend time alone with God - daily. It makes a difference!

Matthew 14:23(NIV)
After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone...