Brownies and Ice Cream



 I had an interesting conversation with a couple of women yesterday about exercise and diet. One was on a strict exercise regime, yet mentioned she ate what she wanted, yet exercised discipline with portion sizes. I put my two cents in and said, “Everything in moderation.” Later that evening, I had brownies and ice cream topped with Hershey’s syrup and the only thing in moderation was the happy dance my craving taste buds did. Did I have seconds? I sure did, and I ate it in moderation. Sounds crazy, doesn’t it? 

Well, I looked up “everything in moderation” in the Bible and couldn’t find it. I saw the word moderation several times, but not as I used it. Whether it’s scripture or a cliché, I should want to do everything to please the Lord. The brownies and ice cream pleased my flesh, but the second serving didn’t please me, my temple, or God. It tasted delicious, but afterwards, I felt so full and miserable. I couldn’t even do my one hundred jumping jacks or dance that I so proudly mentioned to the women that I did on a regular basis. Hypocrite! 

Before you shake your head and judge me, don’t forget the juicy Thanksgiving turkey and all the trimmings are just a few days away and has your number. If you’re honest, you’ll admit to your own pig-out temptations and tendencies. I apologize for bringing this up during the most difficult season of the year to exercise moderation, but I didn’t want to be the only one convicted of my sometimes out of control eating habits. Aren’t you happy, I reminded you? It’s all in love – and moderation. 

Whether it’s turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, pound cake, or brownies and ice cream, remember your portion sizes and eat unto the Lord! God is always a guest at our table.