Mothers and Spiders

Recently, my younger sister and I were enjoying a relaxing moment at the beach until her four-year old daughter came up, bent over and squatting, saying, “Mama, hurry! I gotta go boo-boo.” Our relaxing moment ceased as we scanned the beach for facilities. With a building in site, my sister picked my niece up and carried her across the beach while I thanked God my boys were older! As I watched this Mother / child image walk away, I thought how difficult it is to walk in the sand carrying your own weight and there my sister was walking across the beach with her four-year old in her arms. God has poured an extraordinary amount of physical, emotional, and spiritual strength in a Mother and we are empowered and equipped to endure the most arduous circumstances - some we can actually laugh at.

The MOMSWEB name not only represents Internet presence, yet signifies the similarities of Mothers and spiders. 1) Spiders have several spinneret (silk-spinning organ) glands located at the abdomen which produce a silken thread. Each gland produces a thread for a special purpose. 2) Some spider webs are stronger than steel 3)The spider is always producing. You can remove the cobweb, but the spider will continue to produce until it dies. 4) Spiders have highly developed sensory organs and are uniquely coordinated. 5) Spiders come in many different shapes, sizes, and colors. 6) Spiders move quickly when necessary. There are other similarities, yet you have a clearer understanding of the MOMSWEB name and will never look at a spider the same. MW is thankful to Chaplain Belt, USN Chaplain, for giving the birth name to our organization, which continually reminds Mothers of our strength to endure!

Proverbs 31:25 (NIV)

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

Ethiopian Proverb - “When spiders unite, they can tie up a lion.”