Is Mother's Day Really Happy?

Another Mother's Day is quickly approaching and it brings a sense of uneasiness to countless mothers. This is the one day out of the year where everyone is reminded to recognize the mother figure in their life... better yet, reminded they even have a mother. I know many mothers who are unhappy or disappointed each Mother's Day. It's such a sensitive day for the mere fact mothers really want and need to know they are appreciated for who they are and what they do. If that appreciation or expression of gratitude does not come, hearts are broken and they wait another year with high hopes of their family's proper acknowledgement. I remember one Mother's Day my family took me out for lunch and I was ecstatic because I hate to cook! It was an enjoyable meal, and I greatly appreciated my family's thoughtfulness, yet around dinner time, they were asking me what was for dinner! Excuse me? I felt like I was set up! I was perturbed, but I cooked, recovered and bounced back. Wasn't this supposed to be my special day?! Believe it or not, countless mothers experience similar special occasions...some don't get recognized at all. I no longer look for others to show appreciation for what I do; I recognize my value and my worth and my desire is to have all mothers realize their true worth, so when recognition doesn't come, we don't miss a beat. In my book, Mothers Day is everyday and we should celebrate ourselves and each other! Actually, this special day is really not about us; we have mothers also. Whether they are living or deceased, taking time out to acknowledge our mother or the mother figure in our life is what is important. Mothers have a high calling - we're caretakers of God's children. What an awesome responsibility that is! If I desire anyone's appreciation, it'll be of The Creator of all Mothers!