What's Important?

If you were told you would die tonight, would you make any of the following statements? “I need to close this file before I leave the office.” “I have one important client to see before I leave.” “There is one more load of laundry I need to wash.” No, I don’t think we would make any of these comments. We would most likely gather our family together and spend our last hours wrapped in their love. There is really nothing more important than family and our everyday lives should display that, yet it is so easy to get caught up in chasing our own goals, needs, and wants. It’s okay to have desires, yet sometimes we lose focus on what’s important. My husband is the master of reminding me I have a family. It use to irritate me, yet I’ve learned that I’m blessed to have a husband who believes family is priority. I use to think he wanted me tied to the house with a ball and chain, yet he has supported me in everything I’ve ever done; he believes it’s his job to keep me grounded. I’m good at getting in fifth gear and staying there for a while, but God puts on the brakes to get my life back in perspective. Nothing is so important that family should be put on the back burner. Volunteer work, church ministry, and careers are fine as long as our family is our priority and they know it through our actions and feel it through our love for them. After all, what’s more important than family?