A Reminder to Give

Sunday, my family visited my sister's church to witness my niece's baptism; the entire worship service was a blessing. The church was pleasantly packed, so my sons sat with my sister's family and my husband and I found seats next to a little boy and his Mother. I talked to the little boy and found out he was six and liked coming to church. I asked what he enjoyed about church and he said he liked giving his money. I surprisingly asked if he liked giving his money away and he said, "No, I don't like giving my money away, but to church I do!" I rarely hear an adult speak about giving with the degree of excitement this child had. My own church is studying the book, The Treasure Principle, which shares extensively about giving – sitting next to this child was no coincidence.

The service began and my little friend became quite fidgety as any six-year-old would, so I whispered to him that if he was a good boy for his Mother, I would give him a surprise – his Mother didn't have to say another word to him. When my sons were toddlers, older women would give them coins for sitting quietly in church. These women encouraged me and they showed my sons examples of giving at a very early age. The service ended and I gave my little friend a dollar bill and said, "If you are a good boy for Jesus like you were for your Mother, God will bless you all the time!" He gave me a big smile and accepted the dollar. I may never see this child again, yet it felt good to water the seed of giving already planted in his heart.

Giving is a powerful expression of love and Mothers have countless opportunities to give – not only with money, yet through the life we live. An opportunity to give is an opportunity to show and spread God's love.

Proverbs 11:24 (NIV)
One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.