A Friend In Need

I fell asleep on the sofa last night while waiting for laundry to dry. At 11 p.m., I awoke, checked on the laundry, and peeked in my sons' room. My nine year old was in bed watching television which baffled me because he is usually the more obedient of my two seeds. I looked at him puzzled and asked why he had the television on and he said, “I don’t know.” Hmmm…I was waaay too tired to discipline in love, so I angrily told him to turn it off and go to sleep. I walked away and he began to cry saying he didn’t like sleeping alone – his older brother was at a sleepover. This only irritated my tired mind and body more because I was looking forward to getting in my own bed, yet there was a possibility I'd be sleeping in his dirty room. I again told him to go to sleep and I left to take a shower. I hesitated taking a shower because it’s my place of confession and conviction. Sure enough, while enjoying my hot shower, I was reminded of a discussion in Church School yesterday. We discussed whether we would help a friend in need no matter what the time or need was. Well, in class, I boldly said I would willingly help, yet here I was too selfish and tired to help my own child inside my own home. Good grief! Okay, so I finished my shower and grabbed my pillow with intentions of sleeping with my son, yet when I walked into his room, he was peacefully sleeping. I’m sure I’ll have many opportunities to help him and show compassion, yet I missed this one. I learned a valuable lesson also – don’t be so quick to say what I would do because actions are more valuable than words. Sometimes we are placed in situations to show us if our heart is in the right place. Are you ready to help a friend or neighbor in need? How about a family member? The opportunity to help may be before us today!

Luke 11:5-7 (NIV)

Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.' "Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.'