Close The Gate!

Sometimes I wonder why simple matters around my home turn into major issues that only I seem to care about. For instance, when I wash dishes, which is quite frequently, I can see the gate leading to our backyard, through the kitchen window. The boys have made a habit of leaving this gate open – not just unlocked, but wide open. In spite of my teaching on family protection and safety, they insist on offering an open invitation to everyone to enter our backyard – party over here! I tried to find a clever way to express to my sons the importance of closing the gate, yet instead another Life Lesson for LaVender was in order. Yes, closing and locking the gate is important, yet there are other gates requiring my immediate attention. My temple also has gates needing to be protected from outside influences. My ear gates, eye gates, and especially the gate to my heart should be guarded at all times. These gates need to be closed to influences harmful to my family and to me. Who and what I choose to allow within my personal gates can affect my home environment. My needs, desires, and passions can also be swayed by who and what enters my gates, therefore, they must be safeguarded. The television, telephone, radio, Internet, books, and the company I keep have subtle ways to enter my gates and obscure my focus as a woman, wife, and Mother. We have a high calling and we must be protected and guarded, so close the gate!