Do I Really Love Him?

I mentally renewed my vows at a wedding I attended this weekend as I witnessed a Catholic and Baptist coming together as one. With my husband sitting to my left and my mother sitting to my right, I reflected on how different my marriage was from my Mother’s. My husband and I share the same religion, which gives us common ground amid our many differences. My Mother is a believer, yet her husband, my Father, is not a religious man at all. They’ve been married for over 50 years and their common ground which has kept their marriage is love. To watch my parents interact with one another in spite of their obvious differences on several issues is incredible. It shouldn’t matter if a marriage has differences in politics, religion, child rearing, or money; God’s Word says love conquers all. We often allow simple irritations and disagreements to get in the way of what’s important in a marriage instead of allowing love to prevail. My Mother has shown nothing but complete love and humility as a wife – always putting her husband’s needs before her own. Even when she may be upset with her groom, her role as a compassionate, helpful, and sensitive wife never ends - I’ve seen it for myself. Her example of showing love when a husband isn’t lovable is incredible and a genuine witness to my sisters and me.

Weddings are always a great time to assess our own marriage vows. This weekend’s wedding reminded me my love for Christ should be exhibited in everyday relationships, especially in my marriage. When I show love to my husband, I am showing love to Christ. When I am ugly towards my husband, I am being ugly to Christ. My display of love is a measurement of my love for Christ. This weekend, I renewed my vow to love my husband even when he is unlovable – in my actions and thoughts. Thoughts…OUCH! The question is…Do I really love Him?