A Friend In Need

I’m a reserved person and really enjoy being alone. I rarely pick up the telephone to chat and you definitely don’t have to worry about me coming to your home uninvited. I thank God for hiding my unfriendly character with His character, and loving and using me in spite of myself. The Lord has placed an acquaintance in my life, and I've been resistant to the relationship growing for several selfish reasons. For months, I’ve prayed to be receptive to God’s will in this relationship. Yesterday she called crying with some bad news she received and I prayed with her on the phone. After our prayer, she asked me to never leave her, and through her tears, she said she didn’t know what she would do without my friendship. Feeling like I had royal mud in my face, I told her not to thank me, yet thank God. I certainly didn't deserve an ounce of tribute for this friendship. Immediately, the Lord shared with me that my purpose in all new associations isn't to try to be a friend, yet to introduce them to another friend…Jesus. My job isn't to try to love them, yet to tell them of the love Jesus has for them. Whether they know it or not, this is what they are really searching for anyway! Our Lord was all about relationships. He introduced everyone He met to His father or encouraged them to develop a closer relationship with him. Women are notorious for relationship blocking - another trick of the enemy. When I enter another seasonal connection or maybe a relationship that will grow into a lasting friendship, I pray I remember it’s not about me. One day I won’t be so self-consumed. Everyone wants to be loved and needs one faithful friend. My grandmother once told me Jesus is my only friend. What a friend we have in Jesus! A true friend will share The Friend.

Proverbs 18:24 (NKJV)
A man who has friends must himself be friendly. But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.