The Distracted Mother

While serving snacks at Vacation Bible School this week, I’m hearing so many cute comments from the children. Children say the funniest things, yet some of them can be considered smart remarks. One day we were waiting for more food to come from the kitchen, so the children were just patiently waiting in line. One particular little girl looked at me with big brown eyes and said, “I’m hungry.” I smiled and told her it should be just a few minutes before the food comes. When it finally arrived, I continued serving and the little girl received her plate. It wasn’t until after the serving was complete and later in the evening that I thought of those big brown eyes. I remembered how the little girl looked – her hair was messy, her clothes were dirty, and her face didn’t appear happy or childlike…she looked troubled. At the time, I was so distracted by my job of serving snacks; I missed meeting the true needs of this child. Was she sad? Was she hungry for love? Is she neglected at home? I thought about my own children and how distracted I may be when they come to me. This is how children begin looking for love in the wrong places. It takes a lot of time and energy to be a nurturing, concerned mother. It takes a second to become a distracted mother. Children rarely express their needs. How often has your child said, “Mama, will you spend more time with me?" “Mom, will you stop and listen to me while I tell you this long story?” “Mom, I had a bad day at school today and I want to tell you about it.” Sounds unreal doesn’t it, yet they must think these things from time to time. They assume we always know what they need, yet we sometimes get distracted with housekeeping, school, church ministry, and our jobs. I thank God for the little girl with the big brown eyes. God can use anything and anyone to teach a lesson!