What Matters Most

I walked in my bedroom last night and my husband was on his knees praying as he is every evening. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what he has said or done, what matters most to me is his connection with the Savior. Watching him pray reminded me of a recent conversation I had with a woman desperately wanting her husband to attend church with her. I suggested she first pray for her husband to develop a personal relationship with Jesus and his desire to attend church would come. I may sound backwards, but I'm a witness to having a husband in church and that was it – he was in church. Hubby was on the usher board, in the choir, and a few other ministries. He was busy, but he wasn't busy for the Lord. Our marriage was raggedy, our home was without peace, I was unhappy, yet he was in church every Sunday. My prayers for my husband changed. I no longer cared if he was in church or not. I wanted Jesus to be his priority – his life. I wanted a husband sold out to Jesus – not the church. I had to change also. I had to be the Jesus in my home to make a difference. I had to love and accept my husband right where he was. I had to talk less and pray more. I knew if his personal relationship was developed and nurtured, everything else would fall into place. Many years and two babies later, my prayers were answered. No, he isn't a perfect husband or a perfect leader, but striving to live for Jesus is his priority. We don't pray together as often as I would like, yet his personal prayer life is solid. I haven't stopped praying for my husband either. Even when he crosses my mind throughout the day; I pray for him. I know what it's like to desire a spiritual leader in the home; I also know what prayer can do; I'm a witness!

James 5:16 (TLB)
...The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.