I Can't Resist!

While preparing strawberries for strawberry shortcake yesterday, my pre-teen stood next to me craving and admiring his favorite fruit. I knew he wanted one by his sounds and expressive comments of how big, juicy, and red they looked. Just as I was about to share one with him, he said, “Mama, I can’t resist!” Wrong words for this Mama! I told him one day he would feel the same way about girls. Looking confused, he asked, “Really?” I explained to him how men will sometimes admire a woman’s body and looks and forget about the awesomeness of God’s creation and a woman’s purpose. I shared the importance of keeping our emotions under control and resisting temptation from flesh enticing items. Poor little boy, he just wanted a strawberry, yet I had to take advantage of this awesome opportunity to share - especially since my number one temptation is food. Yes, I am very familiar with the struggle to resist popping a brownie or cookie into my mouth. When did food start talking? It sure talks to me as it lures me in its presence to partake in its pleasure. It is only through the power of God that I can bake and actually have some to share once I leave the kitchen. It is only through the power of God that I can pray and fast and still prepare a meal for my family. It is only through the power of God that I can resist any temptation from my fleshy desires. I am weak; yet remaining prayerful and Christ-controlled gives me the power I need to resist. - there is no other way. Did my son get a strawberry? No, yet he had more than his share of strawberry shortcake and he'll never look at a strawberry the same!

Mark 14:38 (NIV)

"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."