Keep It Fresh!

This morning when I walked into the kitchen, I noticed the top of a plastic container, storing brownies I baked, was not closed completely. I then opened the refrigerator door and noticed the container holding chicken I cooked did not have its top on securely either. There was no doubt in my mind; the culprit was my husband. His name was written all over the containers. He knows cooking is one of my least favorite things to do, so you would think he would help me preserve the food I labored over. Hearing the tops snap as I properly closed them made me feel better. I smiled as if I had saved the food from the world. At that moment, a scripture came to mind about guarding my heart (Proverbs 4:23).

Just as I want to protect my food from the environment and preserve its freshness, I need to protect and preserve my spiritual life from worldliness. My heart is like one of those containers and it must be sealed from worldly lusts. My home is like a container and it must be protected from unclean spirits. My mind is like a container and it must be guarded from trash television, radio, and books. My marriage is like one of those containers and it must be protected from outside influences. Okay, so I’ll let my husband slide this time. I learned a wonderful lesson as a result of his lack of concern to keep food fresh. Staying secure in the hands of God will protect and preserve my life. My life will not wither or become dull if I stay in His will. I must also keep my life fresh to keep it equipped for God’s purpose. Keep your life fresh!

Proverbs 16:17 (NIV)

The highway of the upright avoids evil; he who guards his way guards his life.