Growing Pains

Last week my sons and I had an extended visit in Alabama. The length of our visit was unexpected due to my Father's stay in the hospital, which meant both boys would miss their first soccer game of the season. My puberty-stricken, eleven-year-old was very angry and cried because his plans were tainted. My immediate reaction was to give him a few choice words of his selfish, insensitive behavior, yet I thought of a similar instance when I was in school. My Father volunteered to drive and chaperone a club I was a member of to New Orleans and he became sick. I too, was quite insensitive. I thought it was cruel of my Father to ruin our plans; I was only thinking of myself. I related to my son's feelings and understood these child-like moments will help him develop into a mature, Godly man - if I help him. I shared my self-centered story with my unhappy son. We discussed the many disappointments ahead of him and the importance of keeping his eyes on God in all circumstances.

I know both my sons will have many heartbreaking days ahead of them and it's my job to stick by them as they mature mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Until they develop their own mind for Christ, I must be patient and love them through their emotions and issues of life - just as Christ continually loves me through my mess. Yes, there are plenty of growing pains going on in my home. This puberty process is painful for me. My son's changing attitude doesn't always settle well with this Mama, yet I must remember my present reactions impact his future actions.

Galatians 4:19-20 (NIV)

My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you!