Census Bureau Is Taking Me Away From My Home


I found out yesterday that the upcoming 2010 Census may temporarily take me away from my home. How can this be? Well, people from many walks of life use census data to advocate for causes, rescue disaster victims, prevent diseases, research markets, locate pools of skilled workers and more. I fall into the research market group.
I found out the U.S. Census Bureau is recruiting temporary census takers, so I voluntarily jumped at the opportunity. I chose to work in the administrative office instead of walking around neighborhoods and knocking on doors. I took and passed the test, so now I'm waiting to hear if I'll be temporarily removed from my home for hire. At $12 an hour, I hope they take me away soon.

Secondborn went with me to take the test and as we were walking back to the car, my sweet son said, "Mama, what about me?" I quickly let him know he was my priority and I requested to work evening hours only. I thought it was cute that Secondborn was concerned about Mama going to work and leaving him. It's only a temporary job - very temporary, but you too, can apply to be temporaily taken away from your home by the Census Bureau by visiting their website and getting more information about job openings in your city.

Bookmark and Share