My Provider

I was observing the ridiculous gas prices on my way home yesterday and wondered just how high the prices would increase. The summer months always require more traveling and with another out of town trip coming up soon, I began adding the cost of the trip in my head. While doing the math, I had a few unsettling thoughts. When gas was two or three dollars a gallon, filling my tank wasn’t a problem. If God kept my tank full when gas was less expensive, wouldn’t He continue regardless of the price? Did I think I had things under control when gas was cheaper? Do I depend on God more because of rising costs? Have I put a price tag on God’s faithfulness? Good grief; it’s gas – not air! Oh LaVender of little faith – get over it! Instead of listening to the discouraging news and wondering how far I can go on a quarter tank of gas, I need to remind myself of the God I serve. God owns everything and He is my provider! My blessings are running over and my gas tank is not excluded! God is my sufficiency regardless of the economy.

My sons pump the gas for me, so whether I tell them five dollars or fifty dollars, they need to know their Mother’s faith does not fluctuate with gas prices. They need to be assured that God is our sufficiency today and everyday. So what, we have a changing economy. God is still God and we can hold on to His unchanging hand. As Mothers, let’s help the next generation develop an unwavering faith and not a worrying spirit. Jehovah Jireh – my Provider!

Matthew 6:25,26 (NIV)
“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?