Embracing Sisterhood

It’s rare for my two sisters and me to get together without our children, yet Sunday morning we shared an early morning walk at the beautiful Shakespeare Festival in Montgomery, Alabama. The cool weather and peaceful, picturesque scenery was beyond description. The best part of the walk was sharing the closeness with my sisters. As I grow older, I’m realizing the importance of embracing relationships with not only my blood sisters, but with women placed in my life. I’ve always avoided close relationships and maintained a wall of protection to identify my boundaries. As I mature spiritually, my wall gradually crumbles- one brick at a time. Attempts to rebuild fail as God allows the most bizarre circumstances to happen. I admit; I’m a selfish loner! I use to be proud of this until I recognized the sisters I shy away from are links to strengthen my character. They are arrows pointing to my purpose. They are daughters with direction - messengers sent by God. I need these sisters and they need me! No, this isn’t an open invitation for new friendships, yet an open invitation for God to have His way in an area of my life I’ve pompously kept to myself. This is a scary transition for me, being in my forties, but God is with me. He has already chosen sisters to embrace my selfish ways and love me in spite of myself. He has given me a willing heart and prepared me for this new season. I’ve always admired women who have close friends, yet not enough to make the steps to have close friends in my life. Well, my first steps were taken during my Sunday morning walk with my two admirable sisters. This was my beginning of embracing sisterhood - not only with the women I feel comfortable with, yet whomever God places in my path. Forgive me, Lord for not embracing your daughters and thank you for your mercy.

Proverbs 7:4 (NKJV)
Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” and call understanding your nearest kin.