The Porch

While stationed in Cuba, over twenty years ago, I walked to the beach every Sunday morning, sat on a huge rock, and communed with God. I remember the warm sand, the clear blue skies, the powerful, yet soothing sound of the ocean waves, and even the bold iguanas walking around. Even in my twenties, before I was married with children, I craved time alone with my Creator and benefited from it. Yesterday, I was reminded of my Sunday mornings in Cuba as I sat in a rocking chair on a friend’s porch. Although I wasn’t alone, I felt like I was miles away – lost in the peace of God. The trees, the soft clouds, and the wind blowing against my skin were heavenly. I didn’t have a care in the world and could have sat on the porch all night, but I knew I had to snap back into reality and go home. On the ride home, I continued enjoying the peace as I watched those same soft clouds follow me home. I realized it wasn’t about the porch at all, but the invitation the porch offered – to take a moment and be still. The huge rock in Cuba offered the same invitation. Being still allows me to honor God and His power. Being still invites me to recognize the breathtaking nature around me. Being still prompts me to exalt God. Being still invites peace, joy, and humility as I meditate on God's greatness. Just because I’m not in Cuba, sitting on a rock by the ocean, doesn’t mean I can’t take time everyday to sit and be still. God is everywhere! My rock is wherever I choose to be still. I thanked my friend for the invitation to sit and rock on her porch. I was reminded of the many benefits of being still. My mind was refreshed and renewed as if I went on a short vacation. Take a minute today to sit and be still. ]

Psalm 46:10 (NKJV)
Be still, and know that I am God...