My Village

I’ve enjoyed being the go-to person in my twelve-year old's life, but he has approached the stage that now places his father and me in the clueless bracket. I still have a couple more years with my second-born before I become clueless, but he is already showing me that it takes a village to raise a child. My dear ten- year old came home from football practice one day and spoke proudly of how serious his coach is about drinking water. Okay, I’ve only preached the importance of water to you since you were a toddler and I remind you daily to drink plenty, so what’s the big deal? I know what the big deal is. Someone outside the home has mentioned the importance of water, so now it’s gospel. I believe it’s my job to train my children and instill the right values and morals, but they still need a village of positive influences to back me up. Second-born’s sudden enlightenment with water has convinced me of this. I’m sure those of you with older children can identify with me and now I understand. Parents need help; we need a village. Single Mothers really need a village! We must be careful about the village we place our children in because they will listen, imitate, and believe their village. I want my sons' village to confirm my words, not work against them.
Another school year is here and my sons will be a year older. Where is my village? Coaches, friends and family, co-workers and business partners, church family, neighbors, plus the people God will place in our life for necessary seasons. I’ve always safeguarded my children from influences outside the home and now as they grow older, I’m seeking and identifying positive influences for them. It’s funny how things change. As I write this, I think of the older women who were members of my village growing up. I still remember their faces and the words they spoke to me. Just knowing they were in my life made a difference. Yes, it takes a village to raise a child. I can't thank my son's coach enough for instilling something that I've tried for years to do. Thank you! Will all the village people please stand up!

Psalm 34:11 (NKJV)
Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.