Get Away From Me

Yesterday I couldn’t find a minute to myself. Every time I prepared to sit and exhale, the phone would ring, the dryer timer would buzz, or my children were calling my name. By evening time, I was desperate for a minute and I refused to go to the bathroom to get it (smile). I knew the minute was somewhere hiding in one of the many rooms in my home. I had schooled, cleaned, chauffeured, and played. I was pooped and wanted to be alone. My need for that one-minute becomes more crucial when that special time of the month is approaching. After the boys had bathed and said goodnight, I got on the floor to do some exercising. I exhaled as I enjoyed the peace of mind although my husband was in the room watching television. I knew he wouldn’t disturb me, so I was safe. Within five seconds my oldest comes into the room and drops on the floor next to me. Yes, he had already said goodnight, so what was he doing up? My children have radar and I honestly believe they think my ‘me' time is a personal threat to them. Maybe my ‘me’ time is an actual person to them and they think they have to compete with it. Maybe they think ‘me’ time will take their time. Before I knew it, I snapped at my son and said, “Get away from me!” He quietly walked away because he knew Mama reached her limit and nothing else needed to be said. All I wanted was a minute and yes, I found my minute!! I felt like a different person and I know the exercise helped to change my feeling of irritability also. I use to feel guilty for that one minute, yet I’ve realized my ‘me’ time isn’t for me after all, but for the well being of my family! Mama needs her minute!