Is This Your Husband?

One of the best gifts we can give our children is a good marriage. I use the word good to include the good times and the bad times. Children need to see and hear that marriage isn’t only seeing daddy come home and kiss mom, nor is it seeing them sit in church together portraying the perfect couple, or hold hands in public from time to time. Arguments and disagreements help build a strong, healthy marriage and bad times can definitely strengthen a weak marriage...I speak from experience! I’ve struggled in my marriage and I work overtime to keep it strong...we both do. I’ve had thoughts of walking out, yet every time I look in the mirror, I’m reminded that I’m not perfect and my husband also has to deal with my inadequacies, which are few(smile). Unfortunately, not every marriage survives, yet our children will surely benefit knowing marriage is a bowl of cherries...with pits. They need to watch and hear acts of kindness,forgiveness, and humility, which should be evident in any relationship. Every now and then, a candid woman will verbally share how her husband is driving her nuts and listeners silently agree, comforted because we are not alone. We may even wonder if they’re speaking of our husband! It’s comical to me how we share our (make believe) marriage, not realizing we all share a piece of the same husband. They all deal with ‘manly’ temptations and struggle to keep their eyes straight ahead. Most of them were born with a remote in their hand and have to be weaned from it just as they do a bottle. They have the most wonderful thoughts about what they’ll do and what needs to be done and we pray those thoughts come ALIVE! Every now and then, our loving husband reminds us they are still the adorable, fine gentleman that swept us off our feet and down the aisle by showering us with their love, taking us on dates, and verbally expressing their appreciation for who we are and what we do. These sporadic acts of expression are exactly what keeps our marriage glued and gives us hope for the next celebrated wedding anniversary. Is this your husband?