Guilty Moms


A good friend of mine expressed her feelings of guilt when she wasn’t at her daughter’s side during a recent incident. The mother made a decision to not be available, but later regretted it. What mother doesn’t feel guilty for not answering our children’s cry for help? I received my own life lesson through this mom’s guilt. As a mother, I must realize one of the greatest things to drive children to God is trouble and pain. If I continue to run to their rescue, I hinder God showing Himself in their time of need; I hinder their faith in God.

We raise our children to be independent and to develop a relationship with God, yet we continue to be their God by answering every beckoned, needy call. Of course, there are times we need to be there, but oftentimes we answer because we want to be there. We want to be a “good” mother, but sometimes being a “good” mother is getting out of God’s way. Ouch!

Sooner or later, children must learn to fly on their own. It’s a blessing we aren’t birds because there would be a lot of adult birds still in the nest! I know I wouldn’t push my baby out of the tree not knowing if he could fly or not, but a good mother would. Letting go is extremely difficult for a mother, yet our surrender displays our trust in Christ.

The funny thing about holding on to our babies is that they belong to God anyway!

Have a guilt free week and let's trust God answer some of those calls for help.

John 14:1 (NLT)
“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me."

Bookmark and Share