Homesick

I looked forward to the holiday weekend to travel and see my parents. Saturday morning, I was so happy as I packed my clothes and prepared for the trip to Montgomery. I had not seen my parents in a while and was homesick. The Lord quickly let me know that it's okay to miss my parents, but my heart should be longing for Him - homesick to be in His presence. Yes, my parents have loved me, cared for me, and protected me, but our relationship is only temporary. My Heavenly Father will love, care, and protect me eternally. I was reminded again, that this world is not my home. The temporal things and people I enjoy bring happiness, but my Heavenly Father brings me joy - everlasting joy. As I thought of being in my Creator's presence, the thought of no more illness, issues, problems, tears, and cares of this world became quite appealing. A song came to mind that I remember from years ago. Some of the words are...Can't wait to see Him and look upon His face. Bow down before Him and thank Him for His grace...A blanket of peace and unspeakable joy covered me as I longed to be in my Savior's presence and look upon His face. I began to long for my eternal home; I was homesick. It's so easy to get attached to people and the material things of this world. We have a special love for our parents, spouse, children, friends and family, and even our homes, but our love for God must be greater.

1 John 2:15 (NKJV)
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.