A Friend of Mine

Yesterday was an emotional day for me. A friend of mine is moving away and I had to say goodbye. As he looked at me with eyes full of water, I realized just how much he meant to me. I’ve never met anyone like this friend of mine and I know he was put in my life for a short season, yet for many reasons. Each Sunday after worship service, he looked for me and greeted me with a handshake, but instead, I would reach for a hug. He always seemed to go with the flow and never got caught up in mess. He never allowed anything to bother him and always minded his business. He served in ministry joyfully and had a smile for everyone. Whenever I asked about his job, he always spoke proudly and never said a mumbling word. He was thankful for everything and everything was always, “Gong good, going real good.” My friend was always polite and to see him stand and praise God humbled me in so many ways. My friend has Autism, and his life seems so simple – absent from life’s complications and confusion. My friend makes me wonder if he is the example God wants – to offer few words and show much love. To be content with just the ability to be. Yes, my friend is a special person and he reminded me that my worldly education and thoughts stifle God's work. My friend showed me the simplicity of spirituality and the strength in humility. Although my friend is moving away, the powerful way God used his quiet, gentle spirit to touch my life will stay with me forever. My friend taught me that all God wants is me – just simple little me, but all of me. It isn’t until I allow God to reeducate, renew, and redirect my mind that I will be transformed for His use.

Romans 12:2 (NIV)
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.