Invited Stress

As mothers, we have an unhealthy practice of inviting unnecessary stress in our lives. Our day can be full of errands, housework, meetings, and our children’s extracurricular activities, yet we will still try to squeeze one more thing in our day to accommodate someone else. There are 24 hours in a day, yet for some reason we need more time to do what needs to be done. Need is the key word – do what is needed – do what’s necessary and everything else can wait. I remember being asked by someone if I had a free day to help with a particular activity. Yes, I had one free day in the week where nothing was scheduled. Normally, I would have been happy to give up that one day, but I’ve learned my lesson. I need to schedule a day for myself as eagerly as I do for others. Sometimes we feel we have to be doing something every day of the week or we’re not being productive. What’s wrong with not having anything to do? I welcome those infrequent days with enthusiasm! When do we take time to rejuvenate ourselves? When do we take time to renew our mind? Think about it...when is the last time you had a day you did absolutely nothing? My sons gave me a button on my birthday that says 'MOM OFF DUTY' and I have to plan those days carefully to make sure I'm definitely OFF DUTY. In order to care for others properly, we must schedule a day (or an hour) for ourselves – guilt free and willingly.