Baby Business

I’m caring for a baby less than two months old today and I’m reminded how much time and attention a baby requires. I remember my firstborn and how I would carry him around in his baby carrier from one room to another so I could prepare bottles, cook, clean, and whatever else I needed to do. Sometimes I would allow Sesame Street to baby-sit him. Having your first baby can be overwhelming as you realize your time is not your own. Time management is the key and it has to be learned. There is no time for sleeping in unless you’re really brave. Early morning risings allow time to prepare for the baby’s waking hours as I hurried to prepare breakfast and clean my home before my little one arrived today. I know he’ll want my undivided attention. Anything else I had planned today will be put on the back burner until he naps, and of course my own children will then want a piece of me (smile). I encourage new mothers as you adjust and adapt to your new role of motherhood. When you begin to feel overwhelmed and frustrated with your never ending tasks, remember your baby is still an innocent bundle of joy and you are not alone in your mixed emotions. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and for other mothers, don’t hesitate to offer help!