Concerned, Curious, Nosey, or a Snoop?



How much privacy do children deserve? Do you allow your children to close and lock their bedroom door? Do they have privacy to talk on the telephone? If you saw your child's diary opened or unlocked, would you be tempted to read it? If they have a television in their room, do you know what they're watching? Do you read their text messages?

If parents don't know what's going on, how can we correct? How can we guide? I refuse to be ignorant to my child's life and I'm sorry, but the only privacy you're getting in this house is when you use the bathroom. There are no closed bedroom doors here!

I always wonder what conversations Firstborn is having on his cell phone. If the phone is always in his hand, the conversation MUST be pretty important. At eleven and thirteen years old, I think hubby and I have a right to know what is going on in our sons' life - no, we have an obligation to know - a NEED TO KNOW. They can have all the privacy they want when they move out.

Yesterday I checked Firstborn's text messages and I was disappointed. Was I being nosey? I really don't care, but if I had not checked, I would not have known what I know now. I had to recheck the message to make sure I was in the 'sent' files because I didn't want to believe what I read. Excuse me? When did you start using this kind of language? What?! You hang out with someone like this? Uhhhh...you obviously bumped your head and forgot what kind of parents you have. Needless to say, I nipped a few things and reminded Firstborn of a few more things. He had a small case of amnesia when he bumped his head - he forgot how he was raised. He's okay now and the bump has gone away. If I check his text messages again and find these same things, I may put a new bump on his head.

What about you? How much privacy do you allow in your home? Are you concerned, curious, nosey, or simply a snoop?


Bookmark and Share