Why The Secret?

I make a point to watch the Oprah Winfrey Show whenever she speaks about or features mothers. She recently aired a show titled, The Secret Lives of Mothers. I can't express how deeply this show re-fueled me. I say re-fueled because it was a defining moment in my life as a mother that birthed MOMSWEB, Inc. (MW)

My passion for sharing Motherhood did not begin with the birth of my first child or even the second. It began with a physical illness that left me unable to care for my sons for weeks. It was during this time that Motherhood became alive to me. Backwards? Yes, but it is what it is. Embarrased that I didn't immediately 'feel the love' for my new bundles of joy? Not at all, but I was shocked at how many other mothers felt the same way, but lied to me about their true feelings. It wasn't until I opened up and shared my 'new mom' experience that these moms began to speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

As much as I hate to dissect the universal title of MOTHER, working moms, stay-at-home moms, part-time moms, work at home moms, homeschooling moms, etc... We all have an image we strive to uphold. Would I be correct to say we all have secrets? Why can't we all just get along? Why the secrets? Who are we trying to impress? As I continue to type, I laugh because it really is ridiculous, but I guess this is the nature of THE MOTHER.

Anyway, the Oprah Winfrey Show refueled me and reminded me what the MW website and the MW Blog's purpose is...to share the REALITY of Motherhood and to let mothers from all walks of life know they are not alone on this rewarding, yet challenging journey of Motherhood.

Why the secret?