Forever Indebted

As I quietly sat this morning, meditating and preparing for the day, I glanced at a calendar. Easter is over. The plastic eggs and Easter production props are in storage. The pastel colored bows and ties are safely tucked away. What’s the next holiday? Mother’s Day…here we go. My preparation for the day turned to mentally preparing myself to be appreciated on the 'designated' day.


I began to wonder how Jesus reacts to the days we designate to celebrate in his honor. I’m quite sure he doesn’t have to prepare for recognition and probably doesn’t want public acknowledgement. I’m positive he doesn’t buy into the hype leading up to the celebration, and I know for a fact he takes no thought of physical gifts or carnal sacrifices.


Dare I complain about being recognized only once a year? My acts of service will never measure up to what God does for me - daily.


Oh how I wish I could be more like Jesus and not expect anything in return for serving those I love, but Miss Flesh is alive in my soul. If it’s any consolation, I don’t ask for much - maybe some time alone or someone to wash dishes without being asked. Hearing my sons thank me for their meals is truly gift enough! Hmmm...is it really enough or do I secretly seek appreciation for my simple acts of service? After all, Mother's Day is my day, right?


I thought more about my Heavenly Father’s example of love and never-ending service. No one owes me anything. I am the one forever indebted. My gift is my life - to give back.


Needless to say, today is a new day and another opportunity to willingly and lovingly serve God by serving my family… just because.


Matthew 20:28 (NIV)

"…just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."