It's My Turn

I saw a friend this weekend that I haven’t seen in a very long time. I’ve always admired her curly hair, but noticed she had colored it. I asked what her reason was for coloring it and she mentioned how unattractive her gray hair chose to come in. We laughed and continued talking about aging and we both agreed we felt a lot wiser. If only I had some of this wisdom in my younger mothering years!


Much later, I realized that I’m now the older woman. Although age isn’t the only factor, my own graying hair should have been a clue. It’s my turn. Uh oh…I’m the mother who needs to be an example to the younger woman! Wait a minute, I already knew this; have I been in denial? Am I fulfilling my role? Am I prepared to allow another woman to learn from me? Uh…I’m still learning myself! Am I ready to accept the younger woman as she makes mistakes and turns to me for love and acceptance? Well, I’m still making mistakes! Enough with the excuses, it’s time to take ownership and step up to the plate as the older, wiser woman. You too, will eventually step into your older woman season. We must accept responsibility of teaching the younger mother and embrace our age.We're not only raising children, we're raising mothers.


I welcome this season of Motherhood and I’m grateful to have made the fruitful age of fortyyyy….five. Some days I feel like I know everything and other days I feel like an emotional basket case seeking refuge. Regardless of the day and my emotions, I am...the older woman; it's my turn. I thank God for the Titus II Women in my life that I've watched and listened to along the way. Now, it's my turn.


To the younger woman, I encourage you to surround yourself with older mothers to be an example and encouragement to you. Seek mothers who won’t be afraid to tell you the truth and hold you accountable to your role and responsibilities. What is the standard? The Titus II Woman, of course!


To the older woman – it’s our turn to teach. If you haven’t been taught properly, I invite you to read A Paradigm For Motherhood, and also encircle yourself with seasoned mothers of wisdom. There are countless women without children visiting this blog who not only read the posts, but probably read your comments as well. They may even go as far as following your comment to your blog. What are you teaching? What example is your life offering the younger woman? It's your turn too!


Titus 2:3-5 (NKJV)

...the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things - that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.