What's Taking So Long?

While using my father's computer over the weekend, the severity of one of my character flaws surfaced... patience - or the lack of. I knew if I wanted to get any computer work done, I'd have to face the ancient technology of Dial Up Internet Service. Yes, I said it - DIAL UP.

UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE! I can take a short nap while waiting for an email message to delete or start on another task and half way finish while waiting for a page to download. Good grief!

I thought about the other areas of my life where patience is not shown. When I tell one of the boys to do something, I want it done yesterday. When I call them to come to me, I find myself calling them a second time before they've had time to get to me. I sometimes run ahead of God on plans instead of waiting for Him to lead. Can I blame this lack of patience on genes? It's definitely in the blood - as a matter of fact, on my father's side! No, passing the blame won't work; I need to take control and ownership of my own ugly actions.

They say fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, so I ask myself - am I showing the fruit of the Spirit or another spirit? Hmmm... When I accepted Jesus, he gave me all of him, so I don't pray for more of Him - it's less of me that needs to happen! I need to remain Christ-controlled and allow the fruit of the Spirit to be evident at all times - not just when I want them to. It's funny, but waiting in lines and at traffic lights doesn't bother me at all.

Using my father's computer was only a test and there will be other tests and opportunities to grow in the area of patience and every other flawed character trait. Until this particular fruit of patience blossoms in every area my life, I guess I'll just be patient and let God have His way - test after test after test.

Galatians 5:22 (NIV)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.