Give Me A Break!

This weekend, my hubby and the boys went to an out of town basketball game and although they were only gone for the day, I was able to do exactly what I wanted to do - NOTHING. I didn't want to read, write, blog, or any of my favorite things to do. As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman, I wanted to 'lay like broccoli."

I was a mother for almost 10 years before I realized REST was a secret weapon to keeping my peace of mind. I went through the phase of trying to be Super Woman followed by Super Mama and Super Wife before I realized the only Super I really possessed was being super crazy. It was definitely a lesson learned at the expense of my own sanity.

As I became older in my body and wiser in my mind, I realized REST is one thing I've often denied myself of, yet crucial to my physical and mental well-being.

Whether we call it rest, time out, a retreat, or taking a break - we need it and can't properly perform without it. Foggy brains, fatigue, forgetfulness, clumsiness, and being irritated by simple matters are just a few unwelcome issues that attach themselves to us when rest is denied. Think about how a baby or toddler acts when they are sleepy....we're older, but our actions are quite similar.

This may be a reminder to the older, wiser mothers and news to use for younger mothers, but I owe Ask Wifey a big thank you for reminding me to take a break to renew my mind; this weekend was right on time! Sometimes we get so busy and wrapped up in life that we forget we're human. Is it time to give your 'S' a rest and take a break?

Matthew 11:28 (NIV)
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.