Facing My Fear

I enjoy watching The Food Network. Last night, The Next Food Network Star was chosen. The winner struggled feeling comfortable in front of the camera, but in the final competition, he found the courage to relax and be himself. I struggled with being myself for years and always knew I was living conservatively of who I was created to be. As strange as it sounds, I was afraid to be me. Well, something was burning within me, so one year I decided to face my fear and meet me. How? There were a few reins in my life that I kept control of and I finally let them go. I made a choice to let God have His way with me. Only our Creator truly knows who we are; we think we know who we are. Year by year, I’ve watched my life unfold. I’m doing things I never thought I’d do. I’ve never felt comfortable sharing anything I’ve written, yet the Monday Meditations, growing from state to state, are from the new me. I’ve never felt comfortable sharing anything I cook, but the new me shares baked goods out of a local restaurant. I never thought I’d homeschool, but I’m going on my eighth year and realized how much I enjoy teaching toddlers. Toddlers? Me? Facing my fear has opened doors and opportunities. Facing my fear has given me new life in Christ. Fear is what kept me from being completely comfortable in my skin. Fear hindered God’s work in my life. Just as the winner of The Next Food Network Star would have missed out on winning by not being himself, we miss out on life by not being who we were created to be. Is there something you’ve always wanted to do? Is there something burning within you waiting to surface? Face your fear and follow God.

2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) - For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.