Emotional Thinking

Bookmark and Share


One of my favorite books is Eckhart Tolle’s, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose.
I pick it up most mornings to read a page or two. I must share what I read this morning.

“The voice in the head tells a story that the body believes in and reacts to. Those reactions are the emotions. The emotions, in turn, feed energy back to the thoughts that created the emotion in the first place. This is the vicious cycle between unexamined thoughts and emotions, giving rise to emotional thinking and emotional story – making.”


I’ve wasted a lot of time in my past on unexamined thoughts and even embarrassed myself by how I reacted to them. Unexamined thoughts are thoughts that surface from past relationships, experiences, or words expressed from others. Unfortunately, the negative thoughts surface a lot quicker than the positive ones. Thoughts trigger emotional responses and since women are emotional beings, we spend a lot of our time in a world of unexamined, crazy thoughts. One solution that helps me is to think on things that are true, right, and pure as the book of Philippians states. It’s a battle because those trash thoughts, as I call them, always come uninvited. Also, living in the awareness of God makes a huge difference. Not just thoughts about God, but allowing my total being to be consumed by the presence of God - every step I make and every move I make. When we’re consumed by His presence, the negative thoughts are minimal. 

Our daughters, nieces, and those we mentor need to know about emotional thinking or they’ll grow up wasting time creating an emotional world in their mind that doesn’t exist. Women are beautiful beings, but our emotional thinking can make us look, act, and react ugly. Think about your thoughts and change that mental channel when necessary.