Stop Trying

Bookmark and Share

There was a petty thought that kept coming to mind this weekend that I just couldn’t shake. No matter how hard I tried to focus on something else, that petty thought kept surfacing and messing with my head. It doesn’t matter how large or small a task may be, it’s only when I realize where my help comes from that I’m relieved of the pressure to perform faithfully. Exercising, pure thoughts, bridling the tongue, being slow to anger, and showing compassion are just a few issues that come to mind we deal it. 

I was reminded this morning that ‘trying’ to do anything in my own power is a waste of time.  It seems like it would be a simple task to try to do better at anything, but trying isn’t what we’re called to do. We’re called to surrender. I went to bed with that petty thought and awoke with it. Uuugh! Lord, help me! It was at that point of helplessness that I realized who had the power for change, and it sure wasn’t me. Instead of focusing on the problem, I needed to focus on His power. I was also reminded that God has given me everything I need. I don’t need to ask for more grace, more patience, or peace. He gave it all to me when He died on the cross. My job is to surrender my Self and abide in His presence. I need to remind myself of this on a daily basis. 

The simplicity of spirituality is made difficult when I involve my own thoughts. Today will be a better day. I already feel refreshed in my thinking and free from the pressure of trying to do better. If you’re tired of trying, just surrender. It’s easier. The hymn, I Need Thee Every Hour, comes to mind and I sure do need Him.