Monday Meditation - Here We Go Again


"Here we go again!"

This was the beginning of a cadence I marched to in boot camp every morning as my company began our day at o’dark thirty in the morning. Everyday in boot-camp was the same – a structured plan to conquer and complete arduous tasks. For some reason that cadence came to mind this morning as I began to conquer and complete a few tasks of my own.

I didn’t have a boot-camp mentality, but one of extreme gratefulness. Why? Last week, I met a mother who lost her only two children in a car accident – they were together. She is now an advocate sharing the importance of wearing seat belts, but little does she know how she became an immediate source of strength for me as a mother.

As she shared her story of living without her seventeen year-old daughter and her fourteen year-old son, my chest felt empty and full of pain. I can’t begin to imagine what she and her husband feel and experience from day to day.

This morning as I conquered the lackadaisical Monday morning demeanor of my teen and tween, I simply prayed, smiled, and went with the flow. What would life be without them? Thinking of Kiara and Jameel, the teenagers I met, but didn’t meet, added a little something to my life that really can’t be explained. Attitudes don’t seem as difficult to deal with. The tasks I have to complete don’t seem as demanding. Mom’s taxi doesn’t seem so taxing.

Just as this mother must take one day at a time, so must I. Motherhood is challenging – every day offers new challenges, but there is always someone in a more challenging situation than my own.

For those mothers of teenagers with new permits or a license to drive, please stress the importance of wearing seatbelts – it’s not only safe, but may save a life.

II Corinthians 4:17 (NKJV)

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory…

Bookmark and Share