Monday Meditation - Be Still


I was a little disturbed when I was awakened at 5 a.m. Sunday morning. "Lord, can't I at least sleep in on the weekends?"

I reluctantly rolled out of bed with a complaining attitude. Although I know how important time alone with God is to my peace of mind, yesterday morning I was a defiant Believer! "Lord, I'm tiiiiired!"

I was immediately reminded of my teenager when I wake him before his time. "Wow, was I acting that ugly?"

With the image of Firstborn in my mind, I immediately sat still and prepared my heart for prayer. Usually, I do all the talking and requesting, but yesterday morning, I was led to simply be still and listen. I received a reminder of how easy it is to get comfortable and excuse the need for private prayer and meditation – even on church day. It’s also easy to allow busyness and feeling tired to replace contemplated time with God.

Prayer and meditation is what fuels me to do what I do! Prayer and meditation is what invites the Prince of Peace into my heart and my home!

Five o’clock in the morning is not my choice for a wake up call on Sunday mornings, but I’m so thankful that God knows what is best for me. He knows my short temper and my lack of patience. He knows loving doesn’t come easy to me. He knows the prideful spirit in my heart. He knows I need time alone with him just to have a pleasant demeanor throughout the day. He knew I needed to wake early just to sit and be still in His presence.

Thank God he looked beyond my disturbed feeling of being awake so early because it was better than having a completely disturbed day!

Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

"Be still and know that I am God..."


Bookmark and Share