Monday Meditation - He Left Me

After eight years of home educating firstborn, this morning he left me to begin a new life in public high school.

I’ve learned a lot about my relationship with my son while we completed public school registration and prepared for his first day, but my greatest lesson was being shocked back into the fact that firstborn is not mine to keep – he was given to me on a love-based loan plan.

Isn’t it amazing how God gives a mother such a deep, protective love for her children, yet reminds us they belong to Him? I believe our deep motherly love is in fact, God’s love within us to properly nurture and raise His children.

The emotions I felt when God gave me directions to send firstborn to school felt as if someone had snatched my son away from me. Well, whether now or later, some way or another, he will eventually leave me.

God gives a mother a few years on Earth to mold, groom, and love the children in her care. Only God knows the number of years we have with them, so each day is precious and should be valued.

A dear friend's only son was called home by God in his teens and she recently shared how much she loved being his mother. I use to feel guilty for thinking my children were special, but she also shared that our children are special just because they are ours - given to us by God!

If God decides to call my children home today, it's His right and His choice. I have peace knowing I've embraced the gift of mothering for thirteen years. I've had good days and bad days, but the good days definitely outweigh the bad.

School is back in session, but I’m having my own life lesson on the value of the time I have with my children and how I spend my time with them. Tomorrow is not promised - the next minute isn't promised, so this school year, without firstborn, is a reminder for me to enjoy every moment with my children and thank God for another day to love them!

Yes, he left me, but he has my love with him.

Titus 2:4 (NIV)
Then they train the younger woman to love their husbands and children.


Bookmark and Share