Monday Meditation - Family First

“Pressures, demands, expectations, and tasks push in from all sides and assault our schedules. Do this! Be there! Finish that! Call them! It seems as though everyone wants something from us – family, friends, employer, school, church, and clubs. Soon there is little left to give, as we run out of energy and time.”

The above passage was what I read Saturday morning in the book of Haggai. I chuckled as I read it because any mother could have written it, but Haggai was actually a man reminding God’s people to keep their focus and remember their priorities. I get excited when the Word of God comes to life because sometimes the Bible can seem boring and unclear, which is why I enjoy my Study Bible to help me apply the thous and shalts to my present day life. Of course there was a Life Lesson for LaVender - especially after basking and bragging about my day of relaxation on Friday.

Sometimes when I am pulled in all directions, I find myself rushing through life meeting only the necessary and forgetting what's important. My problem is not how much I have to do, but remembering what my true calling is as a mother. My ultimate role is to nurture and care for the family God placed in my care - everything else is secondary.

I often get irritated when I’m pulled away from my fun job of MOMSWEB, or when I’m baking a dessert gift for someone, or just enjoying some much needed alone time. Although I am called to do those things also, my priority is my family – it’s my first ministry.

This very short, yet challenging book of Haggai was brought to my remembrance this morning as hubby reminded me of his ‘to-do’ list for me. Bills to pay and errands to run is not what I want to do, but taking care of the needs of our household should be my priority. I sure can’t share MOMSWEB with mothers if I’m not striving to live it myself.

Another week is upon us, filled with to-dos and get dones, but I invite you to join me in keeping our focus on God and remembering our priority – family.

Proverbs 31:27 (NKJV)

She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.


Bookmark and Share