My Vote

As I stood in line to cast my early vote in the state of Florida this weekend, my heart became heavy. I thought about how much attention and time has been spent getting people registered to vote and making sure they vote early. I looked over the diverse group of people in line and wondered if they were saved and how nice it would be to have lines across the city of people waiting to hear the gospel and be saved. I can’t tell you how many phone calls I received from volunteers, from both major political parties, wanting me to vote early. Hmmm…no one ever called me anonymously to share the Word. It’s something how bold and vocal we’ve been about this political race, but when it comes to sharing the free gift of salvation, our lips become glued. Obama! McCain! Vote Yes! Vote No! Vote, vote, vote! Bumper stickers, yard signs, buttons, emails, and door to door knocking has become an accepted, temporary way of life, yet I complain because Jehovah Witnesses knock on the door early Saturday morning. May God bless them for trying to do what God expects from all His children. Yes, politics is important and necessary, but will never be as important as ensuring people are prepared to meet their Creator. Asking if someone voted isn’t the question, but asking if they are saved should be the focus. Can I do both? Sure, yet I’m reminded I serve a jealous God and He wants my total allegiance. I will be bold enough to say this…it doesn’t matter who wins the election because God will still be in control. Neither candidate has an ounce of power to do anything without almighty God. This voting process is just that…a process. My vote is important, but I’m reminded of the most important vote and the only vote that will matter in the end. Whose side are you on?

I Corinthians 10:22 (NKJV)
Are we trying to arouse the Lord's jealousy?