The Ice Cream Story

I love the sound of children playing – outside. The joy and freedom they experience as they run, laugh, and scream can’t be replaced. This weekend at my parents’ home, my sons and two nieces were outside playing when suddenly they exploded through the door frantically yelling, “The ice cream man is coming!” I laughed to myself as they hurriedly gathered their money and ran back outside to meet the ice cream truck. After a few short minutes, my four year old niece burst in the house again, yet this time crying – she dropped her ice cream. I asked her if I could give her a hug and she agreed with big tears rolling down her small face. This was a catastrophic moment for her; her world was rocked. All I could see was a future wife and mother going through the trials of life. I shared with her that although she was hurt, she would feel better very soon. Even at the fresh age of four, I wanted her to understand that hurting never lasts forever. I attempted to act out her reaction when she dropped her ice cream and my silliness made her laugh as my Mother came in to offer her a Popsicle from the freezer. Everything was soon alright. I told my niece the next time she felt hurt to remember the ice cream story and how she was sad for a little while, but then felt better. I thought of how Jesus looks down on my hurting moments and how He knows exactly how long they will last. Sometimes it feels my world has been rocked, but as long as Jesus is here to comfort me, everything is already alright. In every life some ice cream must fall.

Ecclesiastes: 3:1,4 (NKJV)
1)To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven: 4) a time to weep, and a time to laugh…