Worth It All

Submitted by:
Kimberly Allison, Oklahoma

Some years ago, I was braving the icy hill that is my only means of escape from my dead end road. We were headed to piano lessons. It was always a struggle to get everyone dressed and out the door on time, but I wanted to leave early that day due to the ice. After we had driven about half the way to town, one child piped up and said, "I forgot my music books." I gritted my teeth and pulled over to turn around. This wasn't the first time someone had forgotten their books. There was no need to go on to class without books.
As we drove home, I made ugly resolutions in my mind. "We will just quit music lessons. It is not worth the hassle. Our family is too disorganized. There are too many of us to pack up every Tuesday and leave home. We live too far out of town, anyway."
But then, the more spiritual side of me said, "What kind of character lesson do I want to teach the children? Quit when things are hard, or creatively work around your roadblocks? Have a joyful outlook, or grumble and complain when things don't go your way?"
As I approached our driveway, I mentally added up the extra miles this blunder had cost us, and tried not to frown. Maybe I could find some uplifting music on the radio. I didn't feel like singing "Victory in Jesus," but I knew I needed to. I turned on the radio and heard this chorus playing:

If just one more soul
were to walk down the aisle,
It would be worth every struggle.
It would be worth every mile.
A lifetime of labor
Is still worth it all
If it rescues
just one more soul.

I couldn't believe the timeliness of God's message to me through that song. It even mentioned the extra miles! It brought me back to the realization that it's not about what's fun and easy, and it's not about me. It's about eternal souls.
We have been chosen and set apart to do a great work for the Kingdom of God. Music lessons (on time, with smiles and books!) are just one of the disciplines God can use in our lives to prepare us for His service. May we moms never lose sight of the bigger picture.

2 Chronicles 15:7 "...your work shall be rewarded."

PS: One of those children is now the assistant pianist at our church!