Nothing But Love

Bookmark and Share

I recently saw this comic strip, and it made me think of Secondborn and his sudden lack of motivation to accept adulthood knocking at his door. This morning, as I listened to him snore, I thought of everything I’ve suggested to him that his complacent attitude ignores. His phrase right now is, “I’m chilling.” Every thought I had of Secondborn took me to another level of anger, but as I prayed, those feelings of anger slowly dissipated and emotions of love slowly crept in for my seemingly lackadaisical son. 

You never know what goes on in a person’s mind, and I’m grateful for being reminded that this season of transition for him may not be easy. Whatever age your child may be, they are experiencing some type of change and they need someone in their corner to love them through their season of the unknown. Everyone doesn’t react or respond the same. Everyone doesn’t think the same. We’re all wired differently. 

My job with my child is to gently guide, love, and pray. I can’t change the journey set before him, and there is absolutely nothing I can do to manipulate what God has planned for his life. Furthermore, what’s the big sense of urgency with me? Maybe I got a taste of the empty nest, and he’s killing my vibe. I don’t know what it is, but I need to get out of my feelings and into my faith. My words will stick with him forever, so I better make those words positive, encouraging and edifying. Yes, Secondborn can take me “there” and drive me crazy, but at the end of the day, I have nothing but love for him and a little patience, too.