Make My Day!


 When the boys wake up, I have no idea what kind of morning disposition they’ll have, so I try to be prepared. Talkative, lazy, disgruntled, or full of scheme to wear what they want to school could be the case in this house. My older sister, mother of two grown boys, told me not reacting to her sons’ unacceptable behavior worked like a charm for her. Her youngest went through a gothic stage and she never said a word through his entire black season. Eventually the darkness disappeared. I’m a woman of many words, so ignoring my sons’ actions takes a lot of effort, but I can do it. This applies to dealing with anyone throughout the day – inside and outside the home. People are a challenge. I can’t escape them – they are everywhere. I can’t change their actions, but I can control my reaction to them. A try-me teen, troubled tween, cranky co-worker, nosey neighbor, helpless husband, finicky friend, long red light, slow driver, or even a phone call can be a trap to trip us up and ruin our day. Our anger, frustration, or lack of patience is what trips us…not the trap itself. The trap has no power. I have to remind myself throughout the day that God gave me the power to make my day – no one or nothing else. These trifling traps must be used to empower me. Each one must be recognized as a tool to strengthen me for the next trap coming. This is the attitude a woman of God must have.  We must be ready to walk over those traps, not be tripped by them. Let’s turn those traps into triumphs! So, are we ready for the day? Get ready – set – go! Go ahead, make my day!

Psalm 118:24 (NIV)
This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.