Monday Meditation - May I Help You?


It was 8:30 P.M. last night, and I had nothing left to give – no energy, no patience, no compassion, no - thing.

I was about to retire for the evening and Hubby, in the room next to me, asked me to print a copy of his resume. I was so tired, after I printed it, I asked if he wanted me to get one of the boys to bring him the resume or if he was coming to get it. He asked me to bring it to him because he needed to ask me a question. Sigh…Is he kidding me? I’m tired!
I had helped and served my family all day and had the nerve to jump rope for exercise; my attitude was quickly headed south. I knew I should have been in the bed, but ignored my fatigued body and allowed Miss Flesh to surface. Big mistake!

Secondborn, my eleven year old, walked by with his comforting smile and the Lord reminded me of this sweet boy’s gift of helping. I always call him the Jesus in our home because he displays a true servant-minded spirit. He is always asking if we need any help and is constantly looking for ways to serve us. Saturday morning, he awoke early and cooked breakfast for the family while we slept. Hmmm...Did I give birth to this child?

Unfortunately, I don’t have the pleasure of simply reaping the benefits of Secondborn’s serving spirit, but God uses him as a constant reminder of how I should be or at least strive to be. I’m pretty good about asking hubby if he needs anything – when I feel like helping. If I’m tired, I try to disappear. Thank goodness we have a God who never tires of helping us!

Anyway, I survived the resume ordeal and the rest of the evening. The family had evening prayer on our knees and when the prayer was complete, Secondborn says, “Do you need help getting up?” Good grief boy, do you ever stop?

Needless to say, I was blessed with this ever so helpful child because this mama needed a live in Life Lesson for LaVender on being servant-minded. It’s overwhelming to think I have to serve 24/7, but there is comfort in knowing I have a never-tiring God to help me help my family!

Psalm 30:10 (NKJV)
"Hear, O LORD, and have mercy on me; LORD, be my helper!”

Bookmark and Share