Mental Retreat

I searched my Bible this morning for validation to take a break from being a wife and Mother. I’m tired and in desperate need of rest and renewal. The closest scripture I could find was when Jesus told his disciples to go to a place alone and rest a while. He said this after they returned from a mission and Jesus recognized that to do His work effectively, periodic rest and renewal was necessary. My study Bible mentioned that Jesus and His disciples did not always find it easy to get the rest they needed, so this also gave me comfort. Since I can’t get away, I placed myself on a mental retreat this weekend. I have dirty laundry for days, a kitchen full of dirty dishes, plus many telephone and email messages to return, but I have a peace of mind that I can’t explain and I'm guilt-free! My family probably thinks I’ve lost my mind, but if I don’t take this time to renew myself, I will lose my mind. I refuse to self-inflict unhealthy stress or worry right now. No wonder women have a high rate of heart disease! We allow the pressure to perform to control us. No more! It’s a shame I had to reach forty-something to realize this, but I've always been a late bloomer and I thank God for the awakening! I’m not sure how long I’ll stay on my mental retreat, but when it’s over, I will be refreshed and ready to step back into the roles God created me for. More importantly, I will take more periodic mental retreats. My personal reminder to you - take care of YOU, so you can effectively do what you do!

Mark 6:31 (NKJV)
And He said to them, “Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.