What Do I Do Now?

Bookmark and Share



I traveled to Montgomery last week to attend my niece’s graduation. I cried like I was her mother because I couldn’t believe she was actually graduating. She looked out of place with the other graduates as she walked in with her high heels and huge afro puff that she somehow perfectly fashioned to show under her cap.  After graduation, my sister captured a funny picture of my niece looking at me as if she was saying, “What do I do now?”

I wonder if the guidance we give our graduates is correct when it comes to following the Holy Spirit. The common things to do after high school graduation is to go to college, trade school, go in the military, or find a job. As parents, we feel obligated to offer direction - especially if they don’t have a clue what to do, but do we trust God enough to tell our graduates to follow their Heavenly Father? Are we brave enough to encourage them to not make a decision until they hear from God? Hmmm… I was in my forties before I found out what direction I was going.

I guess the important thing to do is to teach our children to have their own intimate relationship with God, so they’ll KNOW to follow His direction. It’s never too late to teach them because some of us still don’t know what direction we’re going, yet we expect those young minds to have a plan for life. Maybe we should have a little more patience and a lot more prayer for our children as they try to figure out what to do with their life. Doesn’t Matthew 6:25 say something about not worrying about our life? Ooooouch! Well, Secondborn graduates this Friday, so I guess I need to practice what I preach. Lord, help me!