Support Group?


I cracked up in a mother’s face this weekend when she told me she didn’t like teenagers and wondered if there was a support group. The more she shared, the more I laughed. Why did I laugh? Because I’ve been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. As a matter of fact, I’m on teenage terrain now with Secondborn. Momswseb was created to offer support in this most providential role of motherhood. After I stopped laughing at this desperate sounding mother, I was able to share my first journey into the teen years, yet was also able to assure her of the hope – around age eighteen, they come out of their dark hole and show signs of normalcy. 

The teen years also show us ourselves – they show us what we’re made of and it usually isn’t pretty. I was convinced Firstborn’s job was to make me lose my mind, but thank God for being my Keeper. I survived and I’m going at it again with Secondborn, yet I’m not the same mother. I’m a more grounded, sane mother. I know what to expect – almost anything that doesn’t make sense. Teenagers will take you to the King! While we think we’re raising our children; they are raising us. They help us to mature as mothers and are used to teach us patience, acceptance, mercy, and a few other things. My question is…when they become adults, why are they called adult-children. Isn’t that an oxymoron? Maybe that’s why we still have to take care of them because we’re still calling them children! Why not call them matured seeds or ripe offspring? I thank the women around me with adult-children who will be my support. You’ve been there, done that, and got the t-shirt! 

The journey of motherhood is full of changing seasons, but thank goodness we don’t have to travel alone.