Change Your Clothes!

New Year's Day, I made a point to not say anything ugly or negative to hubby. I wanted the first day of the year to be free from my jokes and criticism. Well, I failed. I looked at hubby and he had on his favorite work sweats. They weren't just an ordinary pair of sweats. These sweats were old as dirt and had chlorine spots all over them. They use to be gray, but they have been washed so many times, the color was gone. The sweats were an eyesore and I really didn't want to look at them all day.

I looked a little lower and noticed hubby's black socks had a beige heel. Wait a minute! That's not a beige heel, that's hubby's skin! The socks, both socks, had huge holes in the heels. Nooo way, I can't keep my mouth shut, I've got to say something. I refuse to look at this on the first day of the year - maybe tomorrow, but definitely not today.

I apologized in advance, but I had to be honest. "Uh, do you plan on wearing that all day?" He mentioned he planned to work on the car.  It looked like it was going to rain, so he was going to wait a while before he started working on the car. I apologized again, but I had to tell him there was no way I could look at what he was wearing on New Year's Day - I just couldn't.  I said it as nicely as I could with a smile. Hubby proceeded to justify the sweats, but I wasn't hearing it. He walked away and I wondered if I should have just kept my mouth shut. I'm not one to hold my tongue, and convinced myself that I didn't say anything out of line.

Hubby came back and looked like a different person. He had on a nice shirt and another pair of sweats and socks with no holes! HALLELUJAH! He looked so handsome and I was sooo thankful. He stood in front of me and asked, "Is this appropriate?"

I gave him a big smile and said, "YES! God bless you!" I was so relieved. If it's New Year's Day, why wear old, torn, dead looking clothes? I know hubby wanted to be comfortable, but my God! Give me a break! I didn't ask for much...just a better view of my husband to start the New Year off right. Tomorrow you can go back to normal and wear his old, chlorine spotted sweats. Thanks, hubby!